Types of courses most sought after by Mexicans in Canada

Recently, the survey published by the Canadian Bureau for International Education 2018 disclosed that Canada is one of the preferred countries for Mexicans to study abroad.

In 2017 alone, Mexico grew by 16% in the number of students who chose Canada as a destination to study abroad and understand the reasons that make the North American country the preferred country of many Latin Americans, it is not difficult to understand.

In addition to being one of the best in the world to live in, Canada offers study programs for all tastes, goals, and budgets, but the question remains: What are the most popular types of courses in Canada among Mexicans?

This will depend a lot on the purpose of each student. We can say that among those who only want to venture into Canadian lands for a certain period, the most frequent choice is vocational courses or also known as work-study programs.

While for those who want to try a permanent migration in the future, the most popular programs are certificates, diplomas, and postgraduate studies in public institutions or degree programs (such as bachelor’s and master’s degrees, for example) in public and private institutions in Canada.

Next, we will explain a little more about each of them:

Vocational courses

Here on our blog, you will find several articles about this type of program. This is because they are often very popular with our customers. As we discussed earlier, vocational courses are most sought after by those who want to have an international study and work experience in Canada for a specified period.

This type of program enables the student to experience the local culture and meet people from all over the world. In addition, they represent an excellent opportunity to improve your English proficiency. In a vocational course, the student will also have an internship experience in a Canadian company, enriching their CV.

These courses in Canada normally have a study component and a work component. During study time, the student can work up to 20 hours a week; while in the period of work, the student will need to do an internship in the area to guarantee the certificate or diploma.

In this second stage of the program, also known as co-op, the student is authorized to work full time, that is, about 40 hours a week. The duration of the program will depend on the course chosen by the client. Currently, there are six-month options (three months of study and three months of work); one year (six months of study and six months of work), and up to two years (one year of study and one year of work).

Vocational courses are normally offered by private institutions that have options in the most diverse professional areas. The most common are those of business, hospitality, and communications.

Why are vocational courses more sought after by those who want to return to Mexico after the international experience?

Vocational programs are among the courses in Canada that do not offer the possibility of a work permit after graduation – the famous Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The student will have only one work permit referring to the time of the work stage of the program, the co-op (co-operative education). Therefore, unless you are looking for another way to continue in the country, you must return to your home country immediately after the end of the course.

The PGWP, in addition to allowing the student to stay longer working in Canada and not need to return to their country shortly after the conclusion of the program, can also help to score points in migration processes through work experience in Canadian lands. On the other hand, the experience acquired during the study period or stage does not count at all in this regard.

That is why people who have a future goal of migrating to the country of the maple leaf, prefer to choose programs that offer the right to PGWP. That said, it’s easy to imagine which shows are at the top of the list of most wanted by Mexicans in Canada, right?

They are the ones that just offer the PGWP! And that is where the certificate, diploma, and postgraduate programs in public institutions and the degree programs in private and public institutions are.

Courses in Canada: Certificate, diploma and postgraduate degrees in public institutions

Full-time certificate, diploma, and postgraduate programs in public institutions and with a minimum duration of eight months offer the right to PGWP. However, many people are confused by all these types of programs and do not know why where to start looking.

Diplomas and certificates – Public colleges

Certificate and diploma programs are generally offered at colleges and typically last one or two years. Some Mexicans get a little lost with these types of courses in Canada, trying to understand if they are the same as a postgraduate, a specialization, or an MBA. However, the truth is that there is no program similar to College courses in Mexico. We can say that these would be the equivalent of the first two years of a high school course, for example.

However, as it is a course focused heavily on the practical part of each profession, many already trained people seek a college program to specialize and have a more practical than theoretical experience, or “hands-on” in English.

That is why colleges are full of professionals who are already working in the professional market – both teachers and students – and represent an excellent opportunity to exchange experiences, knowledge, network, and of course, learn much more about a specific area.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *